Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Nigeria


My trip to Nigeria was definitely a trip that will change my life. Of course...  I think if anyone went to Nigeria for 9 days and got to experience what I did, they would say the same thing.


So why did I go? 
The man you see to the right (without a hat) is Dr. Tracey Goen. There is a good chance you might have heard of him. He and his family lived in Nigeria for 9 years. While they were there God used them in ways that were a first to Nigeria.
 Tracey saw a hospital in Egbe that was about to shut it's doors. Because of his work in the
 hospital and God's plan, it still stands today! Because of his care for Nigerians, especially the Fulani, God has used Tracey in ways that will be in the history books. It's a LONG story, but simply because Tracey lived out the love of Jesus, the Fulani made him a King (mind you that the Fulani are Muslim and Tracey is a Christian). While we were on this past trip, he was made a Chief of Egbe. The first white person in history. Also the first person in history to be a Fulani King AND a Chief of Egbe. 
Now Tracey lives in America and spends his time raising money to build schools, orphanages, and hospitals (of which his organization has already built one of each!).
So to answer the question I asked myself earlier....   I went on this trip with my good friend Scott Beebe to do some video documentaries for Tracey and his organization H.E.L.P.   www.helpwestafrica.org
These videos will be used for three purposes. First, to help raise more money and awareness of H.E.L.P. Second, a training video for recruits. Third, a video to raise awareness of the Fulani in particular. 


About 3 days of my trip was spent out in the bush with the Fulani. I have never experienced anything like that I my life. The Fulani we visited are a nomadic people group. They are very unlike the people of Egbe, where we stayed. They are quiet and peaceful and live at least a 1.5 hour drive outside the city off a very bumpy dirt road. They live a very simple life. Straw or clay huts, pounded grains, cows, and cow's milk basically sums up their lives. The leader of the particular village we stayed in was extremely hospitable. He offered us everything they had available to eat and drink. The picture above I am drinking a type of yogurt from the very cows you see in the lower picture. Camping out with the Fulani for three days was definitely the highlight of the trip. I wish I could give every detail. The finished videos will explain more. 
The man you see me interview above is called Abraham. He is truly a man of God. His calling to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ through medicine. He has a great heart and a wonderful attitude and character. He is education is equivalent to a nurse practitioner. He was also our translator while we were in the Bush. He speaks 9 languages. 


I also got to spend a good deal of time in the new orphanage built by H.E.L.P. There are currently 14 orphans. A funny side-note...  they told us that the word "orphan" is derogatory in Nigeria. Their word of choice was "inmate". Scott and I found that ironic.  :)
Anyway, these are a great group of boys. Like Abraham they have great hearts and character. The boy reading the bible on the left is Jeremiah. He is 14 and the oldest of the orphans. Since he's the oldest, all the boys look up to him and follow his example. What's so great about Jeremiah, is that he could not be a better example for the boys to follow. Which is rare in Nigerian boys, especially orphans (or inmates).    :)


All in all, what I brought back from Nigeria is the most important part of the trip. A broader world view and an insight to a part of Nigeria, Nigerians, the Fulani, and how God is at work in a different part of the world... 

An insight that is not given unless experienced.


No comments: