Sunday, September 14, 2008

on worship

Five days again! On a roll!  :)
Well, once again, it's just a little before bed time. Just enough to write a short blog...

As many of you know I've been a worship leader for several years. TN, TX, and now in the big SC! Actually, now that I think about it...   the title "worship leader" is actually a bad one. I'll explain...
Today Jordan and I visited a church plant with our friends the Beebes (our church didn't meet this morning). The message was about living your life as worship to God. Romans 12:1 might pop in your head...   that's a main passage we looked at.
Our life, as christians, is to be lived as a continual worship to our Savior. At home, at work, school...  you get the point. So by me calling myself a worship leader, what all does that imply?
1) Worship is simply the "musical" part of a church gathering
2)Without me, there's no worship (playing off the "leader" side of the title)
3)Worshiping God needs a leader
4)Worship is always done in crowds
5)Worship needs to be rehearsed and organized
6)Worship only involves music
7)Worship is on Sunday mornings with a praise band/team...
I could go on for a while, but like I said, I try to keep my blogs somewhat short...
The sad part is that this view of worship is deeply embedded in the christian church. I definitely need to put more thought and "blogging time" into this...    but for now, I'll stop calling myself a "worship leader". Luckily, I work full-time at starbucks (coffee!!!), so if someone ask me where I work I say sbux. But if someone ask me what I do in our church, I guess I'll have to substitute for a longer answer...       "I help lead people to worship God through music during church gatherings."    ...I guess that will have to do for now.   I might think of something better later.   :)  

No comments: