Tuesday, September 9, 2008

on tracts

Yes! Only five days later! I'm progressing! Of course I just probably jinxed myself and the next time I blog will be like 2 weeks.  :)   ...  hopefully not.

The other day I came into work at Starbucks and saw a tract laying beside the register. Of course...  I knew what this was. I was actually very fond of them back in high school, but not anymore, and I think you'll see why...
One of my good friends was working the drive thru. 
I picked up the tract, 
"Where did this come from?" 
I said. She replied,  "Someone gave it to me at the drive-thru." I stood there for a few seconds with the tract in my hand thinking about all the people 
I had given tracts to when I was younger, and wondered later how it made them feel. And then I thought...  Wow! I actually have the chance to honestly ask someone what it made them feel like. So I turned to her... "How does it make you feel when you get one of these?" She didn't hesitate...  like she had been thinking about it...  "Do I give off some kind of weird orb that makes people feel like I need one of these?" She said smiling (she's a very optimistic and bubbly person). "Do I seem like a bad person?" " 
I get one almost every time I work the drive-thru." 
Oddly, that was the exact response I expected. And I got a little upset. But why should I...   this is what the majority of Christians very as being a witness. Not living like Jesus and handing people a tract through the drive-thru to make themselves feel like they're doing something good.
Well, this isn't a paper, it's a blog, so I got to keep it short. I'm not saying that "pop-corn" witnessing is wrong (i.e. tracts and randomly witnessing to a person). This is just one example, but I'll put it this way...      this girl gets a christian tract when she works and it make her feel like crap...    I've been working with her for 7 months, lived like a christian and haven't brought up one "religious" conversation, and I have the pleasure of marrying her and her fiance and counseling them...     you can draw you own conclusions.

I threw the tract into the trash...   "I think you're a good person!" "You are me and Jordan's favorite person at Starbucks!" A bashful, yet humble "thanks!" was returned.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command." 
(Jesus speaking to His disciples. John 15:12-14)

No comments: